SCHOOL OF VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS
School of Visual and Performing Arts
|Brian Vernon, Dean, VPAC 104A
|Linda D’Aurio, Administrative Assistant, VPAC 104
||Fax: (203) 837-3223
||Catherine Vanaria, VPAC 150D, (203) 837-3919
||Laurel Larsen, VPAC 218B, (203) 837-8353
|Music Associate Chair and MS Coordinator
||Kevin Isaacs, , VPAC 321, (203) 837-8355
Mission and Objectives
The mission of the School of Visual and Performing Arts at Western Connecticut State University is to advance knowledge, to promote intellectual inquiry, and to cultivate creativity among faculty and students through teaching, research, scholarship, creativity in the arts and public performance.
The school provides its students with an education of high quality in the visual and performing arts, fosters excellence in creative research and discovery, nurtures ethical decision-making and leadership, and contributes to the cultural enrichment of the state and region.
Seven objectives support the mission of the school:
1. To offer the highest quality educational and professional programming in the visual and performing arts;
2. To prepare postgraduate students for successful careers as practitioners and teachers of the arts;
3. To utilize fully the regional advantage of our proximity to New York City and other major artistic centers in the Northeast, including access to outstanding faculty, guest artists and resources;
4. To recruit the highest quality students in the arts disciplines, with special emphasis on students from Connecticut;
5. To fulfill the role of the designated School of the Arts of the Connecticut State University System;
6. To attract major funding for student scholarships, student and faculty programming and endowed faculty chairs;
7. To enhance the cultural life and image of the university, the state and the region.
Western Connecticut State University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
Master of Science in Music Education
Master of Fine Arts in Visual Arts (options in: illustration, interdisciplinary, and painting)