WCSU 2021-2022 Graduate Catalog


Application Requirements

Criteria for admission to graduate study at Western Connecticut State University includes both qualitative and quantitative requirements to ensure that applicants possess the educational preparation to succeed academically at the graduate level. The criteria are established by the Graduate Council and approved by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and Western’s President. No applicant is denied admission on the basis of sex, race, creed, or national origin.

Application Procedure

Students may register for graduate classes on a matriculated (degree-seeking) or nonmatriculated (non-degree-seeking) basis. All students registering for graduate classes must hold a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent and must demonstrate ability to pursue graduate studies. Prior to registration, prospective students must apply to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Applicants must provide:

  • a completed application, along with the application fee
  • official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
  • proof of all prerequisite requirements, including minimum grade point average
  • proof of immunization form for all students born after 1956
  • a current RN license for prospective nursing students
  • a current teacher’s license for prospective education and educational psychology students
  • appropriate test scores, such as GRE or GMAT, as required by some graduate programs for admission

Application materials may be requested from the Office of Graduate Admissions, Old Main, Room 101, by calling (203) 837-8243 or email graduateadmissions@wcsu.edu. Or, prospective students may visit the website at www.wcsu.edu/graduate and apply online. Prospective students are encouraged to read the relevant sections of this catalog, including the portions that describe the degree program in which they are interested. General questions should be addressed to the Office of Graduate Admissions; program-specific questions should be directed to the graduate coordinator identified in this catalog.

International Applicants

Currently the only graduate program at WCSU that is able to accept students holding the F-1 visa is the M.F.A. in Fine Arts (Painting, Illustration, or Interdisciplinary). Students who have an earned undergraduate degree in a country other than the United States must have their transcripts assessed by an appropriate educational service for a comprehensive course-by-course evaluation. This report will determine if the student completed the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree, which is the minimum requirement for acceptance into any of WCSU’s graduate programs. Prospective international applicants should contact the Office of Graduate Admissions for general questions and the coordinator of the M.F.A. in Fine Arts for program-specific questions.

For questions with regards to appropriate visa documents (I-20 for F-1 visa), please contact Donna Warner, International Services Coordinator, MSC 207, 181 White Street , Danbury, CT 06810.

Phone: 302-837-3270 Email: warnerd@wcsu.edu

International Students: Instructions for International Students

Application Deadline

Application for graduate admission at WCSU is ongoing, although prospective students are encouraged to apply at least one month prior to the start of any given semester. Some graduate programs may enforce their own deadlines for application. For more information, visit the application deadline listing located on our website under the link “apply now.”

Transfer of Credit

Students who wish to use transfer credits toward any of Western’s graduate programs must make this request at the time of initial application to the university. The amount of graduate credit transferable into a master’s degree program from other accredited institutions is limited to nine semester credits, except in the case of 

* The Connecticut State University, wherein no limitations are placed on the number of transfer credits. However, a student must complete at least fifteen (15) semester credits in residence at Western (including thesis requirements, alternative research project, departmental seminar, and/or comprehensive examination) as required for particular programs.

* The M.S. program allows up to 6 transfer credits. 

All transfer credits must represent satisfactory work (a grade of B or better) at the institution where the work was completed and must be in accordance with a planned program of study. Transfer credits older than 10 years are not accepted toward any graduate program at WCSU. Courses used to earn a degree are not transferrable to any graduate program at WCSU. Transfer of courses completed after a student is admitted to a graduate program must be approved in advance in writing by the student’s graduate program coordinator. 

Transfer credits are not included in a determination of cumulative GPA’s for graduate students at WCSU. 

Student Status

Graduate students may be full-time or part-time students according to the number of credits for which they are enrolled in a semester. Full-time enrollment consists of nine semester hours or more. Most graduate study at Western is undertaken on a part-time basis.

Matriculated Student

To matriculate in a degree program, students must complete an application and meet the general requirements for admission to the Office of Graduate Admissions. In addition, they must meet any specific requirements for admission to the program in which they are interested in pursuing. For program requirements, students should read the section of this catalog describing the program. General questions should be addressed to the Office of Graduate Admissions and program-specific questions should be addressed to the program’s graduate coordinator identified in the catalog.

Nonmatriculated Student

Students who complete an application and meet the general requirements for admission to the Office of Graduate Admissions may complete one semester of graduate study with a maximum of six credits as nonmatriculated students. To enroll for further study, students must apply and be admitted to a degree or certificate program. The Office of Graduate Admissions reserves the right to exclude nondegree students from graduate courses offered to students in degree or certificate programs.

International Student

Western Connecticut State University has been designated by the United States Department of Homeland Security to offer course of study to any F-1 student who is pursuing a “full course of study” to achieve a specific educational or professional objective. A full course of study at the graduate level at Western Connecticut State University is a minimum of nine credit hours.

Audit Student

Students may audit any course with the permission of the instructor. Auditors are subject to those conditions established by the instructor. You must obtain approval to audit within the first four weeks for full-semester courses or within the first two weeks for courses scheduled less than a full semester. Audited courses carry no credit. Audit forms, obtained from the Office of Graduate Admissions must be signed and completed within the time period stated for the audit grade to be assigned.

Special Student

Students who wish to register for a course but who are not seeking a graduate degree must complete an application and meet the general requirements for admission to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Permission to take a course is given on a space-available basis, and some programs may not allow students to register for courses unless they have been admitted to the program. Special students who wish to continue their studies must apply and be admitted to a degree or certificate program.

Guest Student

Graduate students matriculated at another institution may register for graduate study at Western on a space-available basis by presenting a letter of permission from their resident institution to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Students must also provide academic transcripts to demonstrate satisfaction of course or program prerequisites. The New England Regional Student Program (see description below) provides special opportunities for guest study and exchange.

Undergraduate Student

Students matriculated for an undergraduate degree at Western who meet special qualifications may be permitted to enroll in particular graduate courses. Interested students may obtain details from the Office of Graduate Admissions.

In-Service Workshops for Teachers

Graduate study is primarily an on-campus function of the university; however, occasional in-service, credit-bearing workshops are offered at school districts in the university’s service area upon the request of the administration in such districts. Usually these workshops are designed to enable teachers in a school system to study a teaching or curriculum problem of special significance to specific situations. School officials interested in workshops of this nature should contact the chair of the education and education psychology department, Westside Campus Center, Room 249, (203) 837-8510. 

New England Regional Student Program

The New England Regional Student Program (RSP), one of the basic programs administered by the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE), was established in 1957. The RSP enables residents of New England to attend an out-of-state public college or university within New England for certain degree programs not available at their home state public institutions. These students pay in-state tuition plus 50% above that amount.